About this position: The Student Wellness Outreach Specialist is stationed on the St. Helena High
School campus and provides support for the St Helena High School Wellness Center including planning, organizing, coordination and supervision of prevention education programs for students and their families to address non-academic problems that interfere with the students’ ability to be
successful in school. The Student Wellness Outreach Specialist greets and triages students; serves as a liaison with community providers, and provides organizational support for wellness-related services, school events and partnerships; schedules student appointments, connects students to the Student Assistance Program; collects documentation and keeps track of data. The Student Wellness Outreach Specialist reports to UpValley Family Centers’ Education Program Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Wellness Center Student Drop-in Support
· Creates and maintains an inviting safe space for students
· Provides a consistent presence in the Wellness Center to manage/facilitate student needs
· Greets and triages all students who visit the Wellness Center
· Gathers, displays, and provides health education resources and information to students.
· Provides students with access to coping and self-care activities.
Wellness Center Services and Support
· Establishes and maintains collaborative partnerships with community based organizations to provide services to students and families on and off-site
· Collaborates with school counselors and other student services staff
· Maintains a cooperative working relationship with parents, service providers and district personnel to assist students in meeting their wellness needs.
· Refers and assists students and parents with referrals and applications to Medi-Cal and other health insurance services.
· Coordinates and/or publicizes school wide health awareness events and workshops in collaboration with district personnel, service providers and student leaders.
· Oversees the coordination of wellness support groups in coordination with UVFC’s Youth Program team
· Acts as a Wellness Liaison for Student Clubs
Documentation and Data Collection
· Documents students attending and receiving services at the Wellness Center
· Tracks referrals and follows up with students
· Tracks and collects community partners service data
· Other duties as assigned.
· One or more years of experience in mental health related activities and/or case management
· Ability to multi task in a student-oriented environment
· Ability to oversee day-to-day Wellness Center flow and triage of high school students
· Bilingual in English and Spanish is required
· Demonstrates excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing, for a variety of audiences (parents, students, staff and community based organizations)
· Demonstrates ability to take initiative and provide self-directed leadership
· Requires strong computer and technology skills to operate email, website, databases, spreadsheets and student informational systems
· Desire to be part of an organization supporting individual and family wellness and working towards solutions that address societal inequities.
· Experience working in a nonprofit organization and/or school-based setting.
· Valid Driver’s License, insurance, or transportation
· Conduct a fingerprint background check and TB test and receive clearance