About SAHA: Satellite Affordable Housing Associates (SAHA) is a nonprofit housing development organization with over 50 years of experience throughout the Bay Area for low income families, seniors, and people with special needs including those experiencing homelessness. SAHA begins from the idea that every person a home; our work is inspired by our commitment to create a more just society that promotes the health, security, and personal development of all people regardless of their financial means.
Position Summary: The Resident Services department provides individualized services and community programs that build skills, create connections, and bring opportunities that address inequity to make meaningful impact on the lives of SAHA’s residents and the surrounding community. An initiator and collaborator, the Service Coordinator builds and maintains ongoing positive and supportive working relationships with residents, colleagues, community organizations, and volunteers to fulfill SAHA’s mission.
In this role, the Service Coordinator is responsible for providing on-site direct services to residents, as well as planning and facilitating relevant programs, events, and SAHA’s neighborhood focused initiatives at their assigned site(s). Depending on the property composition, this position may support seniors, families, and/or people with special needs.
Location: This position will work at three senior properties in Newark and Fremont: Newark Gardens I & II; Fremont Oak Gardens
Benefits/Perks: SAHA is proud to offer employees a comprehensive benefits package and work life balance. A PDF Benefits Overview is available for download via this link.
Satellite Affordable Housing Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum 2 to 3 years experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds. A Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology, or related field may count towards this requirement
- Candidates with lived experience are encouraged to apply
- Experience in affordable housing or knowledge of Fair Housing is a plus
Abilities and Attributes:
- Must have the ability to maintain professional boundaries, including exercising objectivity and confidentiality, while building trusting relationships with residents and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication required. Additionally, ability to speak other languages such as Cantonese, Mandarin, Farsi, Russian or Spanish is a plus.
- Must have excellent customer service, negotiation and communication skills.
- Must have the ability to respond/intervene appropriately and effectively to crisis.
- Strong computer skills, including ability to easily navigate the internet, use Outlook, create Word and Excel documents, and work with a web based database.
- Must be able to speak publicly at large building activities, town halls, and meetings.
- Must be familiar with community resources or have the ability to acquire those resources and become familiar.
- Must be sensitive to the needs and concerns of residents and their families.
- Must have experience and ability to work positively within a multi cultural team environment.
- Must be able to exercise good judgment and common sense, based on analysis, evaluation, and risk assessment in determining what to handle without help, and when to ask for guidance or help in prioritizing from supervisor.
- Must be able to work independently, think critically, creatively problem solve, and manage time effectively.
- Must have creativity and an ability to adjust to change.
- Community networking skills, knowledge of civic engagement and intergenerational and activities programming a plus.
- Must have basic math abilities with the ability to manage a budget.
- Must have ability to attend mandatory meetings and training. Including but not limited to completion of a minimum of 36 hours of training within the first year of employment, and 12 hours of continuing education every year thereafter. SAHA will provide associated and required trainings.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
- Frequent and daily use of computer and keyboarding data while sitting at a desk.
- Frequent and daily use of using a telephone.
- Intermittently twisting to reach objects near the desk, standing, walking, bending reaching, using a computer, and occasionally lifting or moving objects which may weigh up to 35 pounds.
This job is primarily conducted in an office, within an apartment complex, where noise and temperature variations are minimal. Some positions require occasional driving whereby exposure to fumes, dust, and other environmental elements may occur. Must be able to work under time demands and remain calm and professional with a wide variety of personalities.