ABOUT SAN DIEGO PRIDE: San Diego Pride is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to foster pride, equality, and respect for all lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities locally, nationally, and globally. San Diego Pride is a year-round LGBTQ education and advocacy organization and one of the oldest LGBTQ-serving nonprofits in San Diego, best known for our annual flagship celebrations – the Pride Parade and Festival – that brings together more than 350,000 individuals from San Diego and across the globe. San Diego Pride is also the most philanthropic Pride organization in the world, having distributed over $3 million to LGBTQ-serving nonprofits since 1996.
ABOUT THE POSITION: San Diego Pride’s Director of Marketing and Communications will develop and implement strategies to drive the success of the organization’s financial and programmatic goals, while remaining a thought leader on intersectional LGBTQ social justice issues. The director will oversee one full-time employee and a volunteer team to steward Pride’s ticket sales, partnership fulfillment, fundraising, and community engagement campaigns utilizing digital and earned media strategies. The director has a hands-on role in the management and execution of digital communication, media relations, social media, advertising, photography, and videography. The director will work closely with program leads and senior staff to further the vision and mission of San Diego Pride.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Marketing: Craft and execute data-driven campaigns that utilize a mix of digital channels, print materials, media partners, and earned media to enhance visibility and engagement.
Community Engagement: Guide staff in developing policies and procedures for consistent community/client communication. This involves managing contact databases, coordinating event communication for guests and volunteers, and overseeing social media, email and SMS communications.
Written Communication: Development and copy edit diverse communication materials, from press releases and e-newsletters to talking points, by gathering insights from various departments and programs.
Team Management: Build and oversee department staff, volunteers, interns, and contractors to ensure timeline adherence including print schedules, media coordination, sponsor and entertainer contract fulfillment, banner, and merchandise design and production.
Strategic Communications Planning: Develop and refine comprehensive communications strategies by conducting regular analyses of current communications tactics and best practices, identifying areas for growth or improvement, and integrating innovative outreach methods utilizing data-driven insights.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE:
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in marketing communications or related field is required. Any combination of experience, education, and training that provides equivalent knowledge and abilities will be considered.
Experience: 4-6 years of professional experience in a 501(c)(3) nonprofit overseeing a marketing and communications department.
• Strong working knowledge of Content Management Systems, Email Marketing Service, Website Builders and Social Media Networks (Preferences to WordPress, Mailchimp, Meta Platforms).
• Thorough understanding of analytics tools, such as Google Analytics and Meta Insights.
• Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and adaptability to new software platforms.
• Intermediate graphic design skills, particularly in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign
• Exceptional traditional writing and grammatical skills with a flair for communication across social media channels.
• Obsessive attention to detail and an ability to adapt to shifting priorities.
• Strong team management, collaboration, and interpersonal skills with the capacity to interact professionally with various stakeholders, including donors, volunteers, government officials, and the general public while fostering a positive team environment.
• Proven experience or familiarity with issues pertinent to the LGBTQ community and intersectional justice matters and a demonstrated passion for supporting marginalized communities.
• Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds, emphasizing inclusivity and cultural competency.
Must pass a background check conducted by San Diego Pride prior to the offer of employment.